Economic Development Director
Economic Development Director Recruitment Brochure
The Village of Oswego is seeking a results-oriented Economic Development professional to promote the Village of Oswego to national and business leaders at the place to operate and grow their companies. An ideal candidate will understand Oswego as it is today and envision what Oswego could be in the future and strive to achieve it. The Village's leadership emphasizes innovative approaches to achieving end goals and working collaboratively with stakeholders to find the limit of what is possible.
The successful candidate will have strong communication skills and an ability to target and aggressively pursue a diverse range of businesses to support the needs of one of the fastest-growing regions in the country. Key immediate goals include increasing the community tax base through new growth, assisting businesses throug the COVID-19 pandemic, attraction of an auto dealership, development of a boutique hotel and banquet facility, attraction of new cannabis businesses, and filling vacant big-box stores along Route 34. The Economic Development Director must be able to effectively build relationships with business leaders and help them succeed in the community. An ideal candidate will be able to leverage local and regional economic data to attract and support local businesses and have a strong understanding of business finance.
An Ideal Candidate
Oswego's next economic development director will:
- Be an advocate and promoter for the Village of Oswego in all areas of economic development
- Develop and execute an overally economic strategy in line with the community's needs and values
- Be able to work with stakeholders to set economic development goals and work to aggressively pursue achieving those goals
- Have an outgoing and enthusiastic personality with the ability to build strong relationships with existing and potential future business owners and developers
- Listen to and understand the needs of existing businesses and the community at large
- Have a history of successfully identifying and attracting target businesses
- Effectively use data to negotiate potential deals and make recommendations to the Economic Development Commission and Village Board
- Be able to effectively represent the Village's needs with the utmost integrity and passion
Duties and Responsibilities
The Economic Development Director serves as an adviser and chief advocate in all areas of economic development, with an emphasis on developing and implementing strategies and programs that will attract new and retain and expand appropriate businesses for the Village of Oswego.
- Markets the Village to potential business partners, brokers, and commercial developers to promote and support new business development within the community. Leverages data and relationships to target and attract local, regional and national businesses.
- Responsible for retention and/or expansion of existing businesses within the Village; includes coordinating business retention visits to develop an understanding of the local economic climate and acts as ombudsman with issues that may arise.
- Develops and implements short and long range economic development plans; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinates activities with other departments and agencies as needed.
- Provides technical and professional advice; makes presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups and the public. Provides information on economic development issues, programs, services and plans.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in public/business administration or related field; master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five (5) years economic development, business finance, or development experience.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
The Village offers a full range of benefits, including health, dental, 457 plans, flex spending, paid vacation, sick and holiday time. Salary range is $97,000 to $146,000 DOQ, with potential for performance-based bonus pay.
Submit cover letter, resume and employment application firstname.lastname@example.org. More information and the employment application is available online at www.oswegoil.org. Deadline is 8 a.m. September 9, 2020.
See our brochure for more information on this position and the Oswego community.