Rain Barrels and Clean Water
A rain barrel connected to your downspout is a great way to keep storm water out of the system and to cut down your water bill! Because you are collecting it right off the roof, it has few contaminants and is perfect for watering the garden.
Diverting water from your downspout into rainwater catchment systems has several advantages:
- Helps to slowly recharge the water supply.
- Lowers the percentage of roof top rainfall as a component of urban runoff.
- Saves money by lowering your water bill if you use rain water for plants instead of tap water.
- Reduces the volume of water flowing to the sewer treatment facilities.
- Provides a backup source of water during times of drought or between rain showers.
- Naturally softened water is great for delicate houseplants, auto cleaning, and window washing.
- Rainwater is chlorine-free which helps maintain a healthy biotic community in the soil.
Where can I buy a Rain Barrel?
The Conservation Foundation sells rain barrels year round for about $60 each. To purchase, go to the
http://www.theconservationfoundation.org/page.php?PageID=52. In addition, the Village of Oswego partners with the Conservation Foundation each spring to promote the purchase of rain barrels.