The Village of Oswego is committed to honest budgeting, responsible spending and financial transparency. In the true spirit of transparency, the Village Board desired to open up the Village’s financial data to its residents, stakeholders and the general public. Partnering with OpenGov, the Open Books Oswego Portal was created to bring visibility, openness and accountability for our operations.
Accessing the Open Books Oswego Portal provides the opportunity to view, filter and analyze the Village’s revenues, expenditures and other financial data. Users can manipulate the data and drill down to finite details or scale up to the big picture. Users can also download the data as an Excel spreadsheet to use at home.
In an effort to provide the community with access to the Village’s financial data, the Village produces and distributes the budget electronically via the Village’s website. Online, you can find copies of the current and historic Annual Budgets, Annual Audits, Monthly Financial Reports, Resident’s Annual Financial Report, and more.
Access the portal by clicking here: Open Books Oswego
Tips on Using the Village's Financial Transparency Portal
The portal allows you to explore budget and historical finances in a simple graphical user interface. The main view includes a chart or graph, a legend and various controls to view expenses by departments out of various funds.
- You'll notice the title of the chart or graph you are viewing on top along with the account type selector. You can use the filter to see the data that is of most interest to you.
- To focus on specific data - like a fund, department, expense type, or any combination - look to the left and use the menu on the side panel. These selectors allow you to specify exactly what breakdown you want the graph or table to represent. When you select "Filtered By" the data filter pops up and allows you to turn on or turn off selected filters for that category - funds, departments, expense type.
- Keep in mind that some departments or expenses only receive funds from specific funds - if the department or expense is not funded from a particular fund, it will be grayed out.
- There are five different types of visual representations of the data - an area graph, an area graph by percentage, a line graph, a pie chart and a table. You can change your view at any time by simply selecting the different type of representation. The data will automatically convert. These functions are on the top right.
- You can also download the data into a .csv spreadsheet or a .png image.
- You can share the data, in any view, on a social network or by email.
- The Village of Oswego’s main fund is the General Fund. The General Fund includes the accounts for most expenditures associated with government, including police protection, road and bridge (street improvements), building and zoning, community development, economic development, community relations, finance, information technology and general administration.
- Some expenditures or revenues do not track year to year. For example, there may be expenditure for a specific item or project in FY 2014 that the Village no longer uses. These expenditure categories will only be visible for the years they were used. After that, they will be zeroed out.
Other Important Links:
Disclaimer: This data should be used for informational purposes only. Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the reports and data provided; nevertheless, some information may not be accurate. The Village of Oswego assumes no responsibility arising from use of this information.