Several of the Village's efforts depend on each individual resident's cooperation and assistance. Here is how you can help:
- Be alert for gas leaks. Use a flashlight to inspect for damage. Do not smoke or use candles, lanterns, or open flames unless you know the gas has been turned off and the area has been ventilated.
- If your property is located next to a ditch, stream or river, please be aware that it is a violation of Village Code to dump materials such as: grass clippings, logs, waste, lumber, floatable materials, inoperable motor vehicles, nonmovable machinery and products; as well as hazardous materials which are flammable, explosive, toxic or which could otherwise be injurious to human, animal or plant life in the floodway. (Penalty for this violation is a $500 fine which can be assessed monthly until the violation is corrected.)
- A plugged channel cannot carry water and when it rains the water can back up or divert to other areas causing flood damage. Every piece of trash or debris contributes to flooding. The materials collecting on your property, prior to a flood, can be swept downstream during a flood and the home you flood may be your own.
- If you see dumping or debris in ditches, streams, rivers or detention basins contact the Public Works Department at 630-554-3242.
- Be sure to check with the Community Development Department for proper permitting requirements prior to any alteration to your home or property. The permitting process provides protection for you and your neighbor!
- If you see building or earth filling without a Village permit sign posted, contact the Community Development Department at 630.554.2310.
- Take advantage of the information available to you either by talking with Village staff or reading literature provided at the Village Hall.