Planning & Zoning Commission
The Planning & Zoning Commission (PZC) was created to provide the President and Village Board of Trustees with guidance and direction on matters respecting land uses, planning, and zoning within the Village and outside the corporate limits of the Village within the Village’s one and one-half mile jurisdiction. The PZC was further created to fulfill its duties pursuant to the Ordinances of the Village, the laws of the State and the directives of the President and Board of Trustees. The role of PZC is advisory in nature unless otherwise explicitly provided by Ordinance.
Roles & Responsibilities of the PZC:
- To prepare and recommend to the Village Board any changes or alterations to the official Comprehensive Plan as may be deemed necessary or advisable by the PZC.
- To review and make findings of fact to the Village Board for special uses and zoning amendments subject to the standards established and to review and make recommendations to the Village Board for subdivisions, resubdivisions, preliminary and final planned unit developments, and amendments to planned unit developments and text of the Zoning Ordinance.
- To exercise all duties germane to the purpose of a PZC and official Comprehensive Plan.
- To advise the Village Board on all matters referred to the PZC or upon which the PZC is required to by Ordinance or law to provide guidance.
- To hear and decide appeals in which it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision, interpretation or determination made by the building and zoning manager, in the manner set forth in the Zoning Ordinance.
- To hear and recommend to the Village Board on applications for variations from the regulations and restrictions imposed by the village zoning and subdivision control ordinances, in the manner and subject to the standards set forth in the Ordinances.
For additional information regarding the creation and authority of the PZC, please see Ordinance 15-57 An Ordinance Eliminating The Village Plan Commission And Zoning Board Of Appeals And Creating A “Planning And Zoning Commission”.
Members & Terms
The members of the PZC are residents of the Village of Oswego appointed by the Village President with the advice and consent of the Board of Trustees. All members serve a term of four (4) years, until their successor is appointed and confirmed. The Village President appoints the Chair and Vice Chair of the Commission.
Current PZC members include:
- Charlie Pajor – Chairman
- Dominick Cirone
- Tom Guist
- Rick Kuhn
- Karen Novy
- Rebecca Stine
Regular meetings of the PZC occur on the first Thursday of each month after the first Monday at 7:00 PM in the council chambers of Village Hall at 100 Parkers Mill, Oswego, IL 60543.
Each member of the PZC is entitled to one vote on all matters brought before the PZC upon which a vote is required. The presence of any four (4) voting members of the PZC at a meeting constitutes a quorum. The concurrence of a majority of a quorum constitutes a recommendation of the PZC.
2020 Meeting Schedule:
- January 9, 2020
- February 6, 2020
- March 5, 2020
- April 9, 2020
- May 7, 2020
- June 4, 2020
- July 9, 2020
- August 6, 2020
- September 10, 2020
- October 8, 2020
- November 5, 2020
- December 10, 2020
Agendas & Minutes
All PZC agendas, packets, and minutes are available for review here.
Note: click on the drop-down list at the top of the page where it says, “View All” and select “Planning and Zoning Commission” to narrow the results.
A public hearing provides the official opportunity for public discussion regarding petitions for rezoning, variance, special use, or planned unit development (PUD). Interested parties may express their views and submit evidence supporting those views at the public hearing. The information shared will become part of the Village’s permanent record of the meeting and may be used by the Planning and Zoning Commission in forming its conclusions and making recommendations to the Village Board. The PZC is charged with conducting a fair and impartial fact-finding hearing. Commissioners must remain open-minded, objective, and impartial in considering testimony and forming a decision.
Click here for a Citizen’s Guide to Public Hearings at the Planning & Zoning Commission (PZC).
For more information on the Planning & Zoning Commission or community development in Oswego, contact:Rod ZennerCommunity Development DirectorVillage of Oswego630-551-2330Email