Historic Preservation Commission
The purpose of Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) is to promote the educational, cultural, economic and general welfare of the community and to promote the protection, enhancement, perpetuation and use of improvements of special character or historical interest or value in the interest of the health, prosperity, safety and general welfare of the people of the Village of Oswego.
Roles & Responsibilities of the HPC:
- To provide a mechanism to identify and preserve the distinctive historic, architectural, and/or landscaping characteristics of the Village of Oswego which represent elements of the Village’s cultural, social, economic, political and architectural history;
- To promote civic pride in the beauty and significant accomplishments of the past as represented in the Village’s landmark and historic districts;
- To provide a positive force to help stabilize and improve the property value of the Village’s landmarks and historic districts;
- To protect and enhance the attractiveness of the Village to its residents and visitors, and thereby supporting and promoting commerce and providing economic benefit to the Village;
- To foster and encourage preservation, restoration, and rehabilitation.
For additional information, see Ordinance 04-09 creating the Historic Preservation Ordinance.
Special Projects & Initiatives:
- Stone House Walking Tour
- Historic Downtown Tour
- Property of the Season Program
- Historic Preservation Month
Members & Terms
The Oswego Historic Preservation Commission consists of seven (7) voting members, six (6) of whom reside within the corporate limits of the Village of Oswego, and one (1) of whom may be either a Village resident or resides within the territory contiguous to the Village of Oswego, not more than 1.5 miles beyond the corporate limits; and two (2) ex officio, non-voting members, which include one (1) representative each of the Oswegoland Park District and the Oswego Economic Development Corporation. Members are appointed by the Village President with advice and consent of the Village Board of Trustees.
If you are interested in filling a position on the Historic Preservation Commission, please complete the Commission Application and submit via email to email@example.com or mail to:Village Clerk’s OfficeVillage of Oswego100 Parkers MillOswego, Illinois 60543
For questions, please contact the Community Development Department at 630-554-3622.
Current HPC members include:
- Kelly Schomer – Chairperson
- John Brenneman
- Doug Pfieffer
Regular meetings of the HPC occur on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM in the Community Room of Village Hall at 100 Parkers Mill, Oswego, IL 60543.
2019 Meeting Schedule:
- January 23, 2019
- February 27, 2019
- March 27, 2019
- April 24, 2019
- May 22, 2019
- June 26, 2019
- July 24, 2019
- August 28, 2019
- September 25, 2019
- October 23, 2019
- November 20, 2019
- December 18, 2019
All HPC agendas are available for review here.
Note: Click on the drop-down list at the top of the page where it says, “View All” and select “Historic Preservation Commission” to narrow the results.
The Historic Preservation Commission’s 5-year Strategic Plan can be reviewed here.
Resources & References
Financial Resources & Programs
- Check the Illinois Historic Preservation Office Financial Incentives page for the latest on historic preservation tax incentives, loan and grant programs, etc.
Design Guidelines examples
Economics of Historic Preservation
For additional information regarding Historic Preservation in Oswego, please contact:
Village of Oswego